I was seeking for some way how to make a vintage effect to photos in Gimp. I discovered several tutorials and combined them together to something that works for me. Here is the recipe mainly for me not to forget it.
- Create three layers in the picture and fill them with colors. Listing their attributes from top to bottom in the Layers window:
- Some "computer" blue color, the one like in old Dos times. I used 0949e9, Opacity around 17. Layer mode Screen.
- Some pink color around e865b3, opacity 20, layer mode Screen.
- Light yellow, like yellow paper for taking notes. My color is fbf2a3, opacity around 60, layer mode Multiply.
- Now goes the original layer.
- Increase contrast to something around 21 in the original layer.
- Slightly decrease Hue (-9), increase Lightness (+9), and lower Saturation (-30).
- You can further add dark corners. Create a new layer right above the original picture. Use Eclipse selection tool to select the whole picture. Feather selection by reasonable amount of pixels (depends on the photo size, I use 150-400px). Invert selection and fill the corners with black. Set the layer opacity as desired.
More glares can be added by a separate multiplied layer with white and yellow color paintings.